This weekend is filled with events all around the area! You can enjoy a date night out while your kids swim or play. If you’re brave enough to go out in the cold, check out Santa’s House or Holiday Magic at the Zoo! Stay in and get cozy on your couch for some online shopping. Continue reading
It has been over two years since the last time I hired a photographer for family photos. The main reason was I didn’t think my kids would cooperate in outfit selection and smile and it seemed like a waste of money. However, I desperately wanted pictures to hang on the wall and give to the grandparents. I decided that this would be the year. Naturally my first panic was around the outfit selection and making sure everyone matched without being matchy matchy.
I have found that if I stick with one brand then the coloring for the most part is similar instead of having ten different shades of red for example. I also know that my kids are very particular about the clothing they wear (i.e. they would wear shorts and a t-shirt all day everyday and NEVER wear nice clothes) so I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on an outfit they would probably wear once. Old Navy worked really well. I got Brooke’s outfit and Blake’s as well as my leggings 🙂 My dress was from Banana Republic and Louis’ sweater was Tommy Bahama brand. Most of the items aren’t available anymore so I haven’t linked them here, but I definitely recommend Old Navy for cute photo clothes for the whole family.
We met our photographer, Kim at a Christmas Tree Farm at the beginning of November. We lucked out on the weather, it was perfect. We had not used Kim before but had nothing but great things to say about her. She had treats for the kids (win!) and let us steer the direction of the shoot and didn’t make everything so staged, because lets be real, a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old don’t really cooperate 🙂 Plus, her prices were super reasonable and she gave us proofs very timely. Anyone in the Crystal Lake area looking for a photographer, please check out Kim!
MyBAB Family Photo Tips:
- Set a color scheme but don’t be matchy.
- Take pictures at a time of day that your kids are at their best (i.e. don’t schedule pictures during nap time)
- Don’t try and stage all photo’s. Some of our favorites are the natural moments
- Let the kids pick some of the photo’s. For example, we asked Blake if he wanted to sit on the bench or stand by the trees. If they get a say they tend to cooperate more!
- Bribery always works, ha! We promised the kids a trip to Target afterwards to get one small toy if they listened.
- Trust the photographer to guide you. If you feel awkward just know that it might feel goofy to pose in a certain way but it does make for a better picture
- Have fun (way easier said than done, I was a huge stress ball before the pictures making sure everyone looked good) but at the actual shoot I just went with it and didn’t fuss over all the details
Here are a sample of the photos and I have to say that my favorites are the more relaxed and “real” shots.
Photo credit: Kimberly Nelson Photography
We’ve been struggling a bit as to what to get our kids for Christmas. It shouldn’t be that hard, they want EVERYTHING they see in the toy aisle. But we know after a few days some of the things they want will never be touched again. So we wanted to give them gifts that will make it to January and beyond.
Today we are showcasing gifts that are all under $25. You can gift these to friends, co-workers, neighbors and teachers.
- Cute Wine Glasses: Everyone knows our love for wine, and cute wine glasses make drinking wine that much more enjoyable.
- Coffee Mugs: We clearly enjoy gifts that hold beverages. Plus, we can’t resist a monogram. These personalized mugs are a steal from William Sonoma.
- Candles: We love a good smelling candle. During this time of year one is always lit at our house. Makes any house cozy during the holidays.
- Bath Bombs: Let’s be real, as working Mom’s we never stop and take time to enjoy a relaxing bath. But, if we got these super fun bath bombs, we just might!
- Starbucks Gift Card: Yes, it seems cliche but 90% of the country enjoys Starbucks and you can order and send these gift cards online. So for those of you who wait to shop on Christmas Eve, this gift is for you.
- Fringe Scarf: This adds a pop to any outfit and is super easy to style since it is an infinity scarf. Girls will love receiving this gift.